Moe Life Skills has always had a focus on community unity and promoting understanding of people of all abilities within the community. In 2014 the former Masonic Lodge located at 4 High Street, which was next to Moe Life Skills, was offered for sale. With the assistance of the State Government, Moe Life Skills purchased the property with the view to developing it into a community hub.
The purpose of the hub is not to rent out office space but to provide a community space for everyone in Moe. This is a space for people to meet and socialise, for example, parents coming to meet and chat together after they drop off the kids to school, young people coming to use a computer and work on school projects or homework, or older people meeting just to get together, have a cuppa, and reminisce.
We also intend to provide space to the community for yoga classes, play groups, dance groups, exhibitions, etc. While Moe Life Skills is a disability service, the community hub is about providing space for everyone in the community, no matter their ability, culture, or age.
We have held several formal and informal community consultations about the hub, and have incorporated many of the ideas into events we have planned.
Some of our upcoming events and plans for the hub include:
- A coffee shop where people can drop in for a coffee, something to nibble on, and a bit of a chat.
- An information officer to answer any questions or inquiries that people have about the hub.
- Information on a wide range of services.
- A Moe Dog Day Out to promote positive dog ownership.
- A Christmas Market to showcase art and craft from all of the cultures within Moe.
- Working with a community group to develop a regular market
- Singing and reminiscing elderly citizens group
- Dancing in the dark
- After school groups
Check out our past community events.